The 16th Battalion embarked for Le Havre, France, on 30th January 1916. They arrived the following morning in the early hours before marching to the Rest Camp.
Those who embarked at Southampton: 34 Officers, 984 other ranks.
- Commanding Officer: Lt Col R Browne Clayton
- Second-in-Command: Major Worthington
- Adjutant: Captain C Johnson
- Quarter Master: Hon.Lieut H Halsall
- Transport Officer: Lieut T Hare
- Signalling Officer: Lieut A C Styles
- Company Commanders: Capt S C Bacon, Major J C Bowe, Capt G Playfer, Capt C Sturla
- Second in Command of Companies: Capt E F Thurgood, Capt H H Hurst, Capt D Burnett, Lieut H D Ryalls
- Other Officers: Lieuts S G Hewitt, W R Batty, J D Hodgson, J R Dovener, R F Lawrenson, G G Earl
- 2nd Lieuts: P H Jones, H Halsall, S G Bowe, L Millington, J A blake, M L Abrahams, R McLaren, R P Harrison, W H Findlay, J B Mennie, W Wallace, R P Schofield, R D Eccleston
- Medical Officer: Lieut F N Stewart (RAMC)